Children who will reach the age of five years on or before 30th April may commence school in January of that year.
2024 Foundation (Prep) enrolments
The Department of Education has released a new statewide Foundation (Prep) enrolment timeline.
The timeline advises families when and how to enrol their child into Foundation (Prep) at a Victorian government primary school, including Sale Primary School.
The new timeline will apply for children starting Foundation (Prep) in 2024. All government primary schools will follow the new timeline in 2023 to support Foundation (Prep) enrolments for the 2024 school year.
You can find information and resources about the new timeline, including factsheets and the ‘Foundation (Prep) Enrolment Information Pack for Parents/Carers’, at: Enrolling in Foundation (Prep).
You will be able to apply to enrol your child in Foundation (Prep) 2024 at Sale Primary School from 24 April 2023.
What you need to do:
- Contact our school on (03) 5144 5545 to book a school tour or to learn more about our school and the enrolment application process
- Download the Foundation (Prep) enrolment information pack from Enrolling in Foundation (Prep)
- Submit an enrolment application for Foundation (Prep) by Friday 28 July 2023
- You will be notified of the outcome of your application by Friday 11 August 2023. If you receive an enrolment offer, you should contact our school to accept the offer by Friday 25 August 2023
- Take part in enrolment information and transition sessions during Term 4, 2023
- Contact the school office for your Foundation (Prep) child's start date.
The Application to Enrol in a Victorian Government School is available by emailing email@example.com
Enrolment applications submitted after 28 July 2023 will be processed by our school as they are received, in accordance with the department’s Placement Policy.
Our school Zone
School zones for the 2024 school year can be found on www.findmyschool.vic.gov.au
Students residing within our school zone are guaranteed a place at our school, which is determined based on your permanent residential address.
Our school manages enrolments using the Placement Policy to ensure that students have access to their designated neighbourhood school and may enrol at another school, if there are available places.
For more information, you can:
Parents are required to complete a Confidential Student Enrolment form prior to their child commencing school. A birth certificate and Immunisation Status certificate is also required for Foundation enrolments.
An enrolment form may be obtained from the school office.
On enrolment, you will need to supply the school with the following documents:
- Completed Enrolment form
- Birth certificate
- Any relevant current visa documentation or Immicard
- Immunisation record (Australian Childhood Immunisation Register)
- copies of any reports and letters from a paediatrician, speech pathologist, occupational therapist etc
For further information about immunisation go to:
Australian Childhood Immunisation Register website
Enrolment enquiries can be made by phone through the School Office: Telephone (03) 5144 5545 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org
Parents can legally defer enrolment for their child until the child is six years old. Your child needs to have turned 5 on or before the 30th April before they can legally start school. Please consider your child's overall development - physical, emotional, social as well as intellectual when deciding if they is ready for school. You can also talk with your child's kindergarten teacher regarding your child's readiness for school. Towards the end of the kindergarten year your child will be invited to attend orientation sessions with other kindergarten children who will be starting the following year.
February Flexible School Attendance for Foundation
The annual start of school arrangements for Foundation children will vary from year to year based on the annual start date of all students. Please contact the office on (03) 5144 5545 for further details.
Things Your Child Will Need In Foundation
The children will be supplied with all their day-to-day requirements ie. books, papers, clag, pencils etc. However, you will need to supply the following:
- a school uniform
- a school bag which needs to be a close up or zip up type
- a water/paint proof art smock
- a lunch box
- a drink bottle
The school has a Sunsmart Policy and Parents & Friends supplies all new Foundation students with a complimentary school hat.
All items such as bags, lunch boxes, articles of clothing which are removable (jumpers, coats, hats, etc.) MUST BE NAMED. This helps prevent costly losses for parents and wasted time trying to identify unnamed items.